Recently, Lacey has been receiving garden treasures from a secret source! Here's the story:
A few days ago my week was made by a mysterious garden fairy. When I got home from The Lotus Room, I was surprised by four perfect heirloom tomatoes on my front porch! I racked my brain for who could have bestowed such beauties on me, and smiled as each possibility came to mind.
Of course I wanted to thank whomever it was, but no one has yet come forward...
In the meantime, these tomatoes were so rich looking I knew exactly how I wanted to use them. Inspired by my recent trip to Italy this dish includes local seasonal vegetables and contains all six Ayurvedic tastes, creating a perfectly balanced Summer meal.
This particular recipe is designed to pacify both Pitta + Vata Dosha - though I have included modifications for Kapha as well. Enjoy!
Farro Summer Salad
- 1 c. farro
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 1/3 c. black olives, sliced || Kapha Dosha - can be omitted but what the heck, life is short right?
- 1 cucumber, sliced into quarters
- 1 tsp. dill
- 1/4 c. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 lb. tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 c. olive oil || Kapha Dosha - Sub Sunflower oil - olive oil is too heavy for this dosha
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 1/2 c. water with 1 c. farro and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 30-35 minutes, or until desired tenderness is reached.
- Drain farro and place in a bowl to cool.
- Add vegetables and herbs to farro and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil and vinegar, then dress salad.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature, or slightly chilled.